From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new profile layout with flavors and mix-ins
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 18:10:21
1 On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > I don't feel like we ought to vote on something like this without
3 > understanding most of the current profiles. And I'm afraid there are
4 > only few people who have any idea about the current profile
5 > structure...
6
7 No argument there.
8
9 We may very well still end up with something hierarchical, but we can
10 at least limit that to the parts of the profile where it matters.
11 Maybe x86/BSD and amd64/Linux and amd64/Linux-hardened need to be
12 interdependent. However, that still gets rid of need to deal with
13 desktop environments, init systems, arguments over what belongs in
14 @system, and so on. We could have a blocker mechanism to keep people
15 from mixing systemd with BSD, or we could just let people shoot
16 themselves in the foot.
17
18 Sounds like a good time to start reverse engineering the profiles...
19
20 Rich