From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:34:32
1 On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 00:03 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > a) Convenience.
3
4 Testing.
5
6 Some times we want to get user testing on a specific package or two, and
7 it is easier to distribute it via the normal portage tree than not.
8 Another reason for masking packages is for security reasons. This
9 especially happens when there is no patch or fixed version upstream. It
10 allows the user to decide if they wish to continue running a vulnerable
11 package or not, without forcing the removal of the package from the
12 tree.
13
14 > b) Sadly, unlike some other distributions we don't refuse to package
15 > things which won't work on all our tier one archs.
16
17 This is both a pro and a con. There are many packages that we include
18 that will *never* run on architectures but x86/amd64. These are mostly
19 binary applications and games, but from the feedback that I have gotten,
20 our users seem to enjoy that we have these packages in our tree. It is
21 definitely a disadvantage when a source-based package does not work on
22 all architectures, but with the volunteer team that we have, I think we
23 do pretty well. The arch teams also do an excellent job of making sure
24 things either work or don't on their architecture. The only way we
25 could enforce source-based packages working on all of our tier-one
26 architectures would be to have *much* larger arch teams. It would also
27 slow down our productivity greatly. After all, if package foo doesn't
28 work on sparc, they just don't have to keyword it. I find this requires
29 much less manpower than forcing the package to either be removed, no
30 matter how useful it is, or forcing the sparc team to come up with a
31 patch so it can work on that architecture.
34 Chris Gianelloni
36 Games - Developer
37 Gentoo Linux