From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: changing ssl use flag descriptions and unify behavior
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 06:04:21
1 On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2 > See this thread for background:
3 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_0673a33fe75961e510872fd2c1044ced.xml
4 >
5 > I think we should go through all the ssl use flag using packages and
6 > unify the use flag descriptions and behavior to the following standing
7 > policy (handed down probably):
8 >
9 > 1) packages always have the general ssl use flag to control whether to
10 >   enable ssl at all
11 > 2) If the package supports multiple backends then there's use flags for
12 >   gnutls, openssl or nss. EAPI 2 use defaults will be used to
13 >   communicate upstream defaults if any. If they are all turned of
14 >   select the default (ssl being on).
15 >
16 > No objections and I will open a tracker a week from now and let's see
17 > who joins up to go through packages and open bugs.
18 >
19 > Regards,
20 > Petteri
24 I seriously hate changing USE flags for the sake of changing use
25 flags. This provides a moderate amount of annoyance for anyone that
26 maintains more then one Gentoo box because they need to then tinker
27 with their /etc/make.conf and /etc/portage/package.use to get
28 everything right again. And oh no what if the one box is on ~arch and
29 one isn't and what if one is x86 and one isn't. Its just such a
30 configuration nightmare.
31
32 So unless there's any real benefit, I'm against this.
33
34 Also two little side points... USE defaults happened in EAPI 1. And
35 the method by which you're asking people to select would be nice if we
36 had some method for saying USE X and Y are subset of USE A.
39 Doug Goldstein