From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for cleaning portage a bit (themes and other eyecandy stuff)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 15:27:38
1 Am Samstag, 19. August 2006 04:11 schrieb Michael Cummings:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:44:04 -0700 Donnie Berkholz
4 > >
5 > > <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
6 > > | What would be more interesting is something like
7 > > | app-portage/g-cpan for various themes sites. This way, individual
8 > > | themes wouldn't need to get packaged and maintained.
9 > >
10 > > If anyone's looking to experiment with this kind of thing...
11 > > Paludis supports multiple repository formats. We're already
12 > > supporting CRAN, and we might do CPAN,
13
14 > really? i thought you told me in irc we weren't worth it or something
15 > like that...honestly not trying to troll or incite flame, you gather
16 > enough of that, but last we spoke about incorporating g-cpan like
17 > functionality into paludis on irc, it wasn't worth your time (choice
18 > expletives were used). from the gist of that conversation, paludis
19 > was not up to this job if the repository didn't fit some rather
20 > strict guidelines.
21 Actually, the conversation was more like:
22
23 ciaran) What do we do next? CPAN? CTAN?
24 kugelfang) let's ask mcummings for CPAN help. The deps can't be easily
25 resolved iirc.
26 mcummings) no other way, meta.yml isn't always there, and even
27 g-cpan.pl needs several runs, and might even get the deps
28 not correctly.
29 ciaran) screw it then.
30 kugelfang) CTAN? no deps at all.
31 ciaran) screw it.
32
33 >From my POV those "screw it" were related to 'what do we do next', and
34 not CPAN. Especially as CPAN wasn't the only option in consideration.
35
36 In regard to the to the 'strict guidelines' and 'paludis not up to the
37 job'. We _could_ implement it, but none of the possible implementations
38 is really elegant. We considered these possibilites:
39 * using an external repo, that autogenerates the dep information _after
40 downloading all of CPAN_. (yes, that would be necessary)
41 * g-cpan mode of autogenerating the builds, where the distfiles need to
42 be downloaded recursively at dep-resolution time.
43
44 Just to get the facts straight.
45
46 Danny
47 --
48 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
49 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list