From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Status of GPG-verified trees
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 00:26:17
1 On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 01:14:22AM +0200, M.B. wrote:
2 > Good evening folks,
3 >
4 > in the past I witnessed bits and pieces of attempts to increase the
5 > infrastructure userside, but, unless I'm mistaken, there's still room
6 > for improvement.
7 >
8 > Since a couple of years we have the webrsync-gpg FEATURE, which enables
9 > automatic verification of the portage tree, when updated via webrsync.
10 >
11 > We also have mandatory signing via gpg of packages, news items and (I
12 > strongly suspect) GLSAs for maintainers. Yet, there's not checking
13 > mechanism whatsoever in portage.
14 Portage _can_ check signed Manifests, it's just presently not doing so
15 as even less of the manifests are signed than they used to be with the
16 Git migration (read on).
17
18 > Now my question: are there plans existing on how to improve this
19 > situation? Any project that might be involved with such plans?
20 > In particular, my question is with respect to
21 > - automatic verififcation of the gpg-signatures provided when syncing
22 > via git
23 Use gkeys and you should have all the keys needed to verify the commits.
24
25 > - development of a verification scheme that works just as well with rsync
26 > - on the threat-assessment side: are there dangers involved, apart from
27 > a mitm-attack between the (rsyncing) end-user and a mirror or a mirror
28 > and the main servers?
29 Read the MetaManifest GLEPs, this was already planned & proposed years
30 ago, and hopefully at the end of this GSoC, the final implementation
31 pieces will be done too.
32
33 Most importantly, MetaManifest will reduce the need of signing every
34 single Manifest, to just signing a single top-level (meta)manifest.
37 Robin Hugh Johnson
38 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead, Foundation Trustee
39 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
40 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85