From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Jun 11th, 2009 Council Meeting Format
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 02:31:47
1 Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > In my manifesto [1] I have proposed something significantly different
3 > which simply consists in spinning the long discussions off the
4 > council meetings using more focused groups
5
6 ++
7
8 I've seen this used to good effect on projects at work. The only
9 challenge might be the fact that this works best when groups actually
10 meet (as in everybody talking at the same time in the same place - or at
11 least virtual place).
12
13 Also - such working groups are not a substitute for community
14 involvement. Usually the way these things happen are:
15
16 1. Topic is brought up.
17 2. Lots of people weigh in.
18 3. People volunteer to form a short-term team to work it out.
19 4. Team presents proposal.
20 5. Lots of people cheer (hopefully).
21 6. Oversight group (ie council) approves.
22
23 This of course requires a team mentality at a few points along the
24 process. Also - at work it helps that people without this kind of
25 mindset get weeded out fairly quickly since the issue wouldn't be
26 discussed if it weren't holding something up.