From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 04:51:21
1 On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 07:55:50PM -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > I'd like Gentoo to be a place where neat things are developed.
3 > If RH or SuSE (or another for-profit Linux vendor) wants to take some
4 > of those developments and use them to make a profit, that's fine with
5 > me. We're over here having fun.
6
7 I second this. That's why I joined...
8
9 > Also I find it amusing when people say that Gentoo exists for the
10 > users. I think that is wrong. Gentoo exists for the *developers*.
11 > It's our playground, and it's the reason we use a live tree rather
12 > than switching to an actually sane approach. The users are cool
13 > because they point out bugs, help solve problems on bugzilla, suggest
14 > enhancements, provide patches, and notify us of package updates.
15 > Sometimes they become developers. But the truth is that Gentoo sees
16 > improvement and maintenance in the areas that appeal to the
17 > developers. And that is why Gentoo exists for the developers first,
18 > the users second.
19
20 Heh, I like this too.
21
22 One thing that people might want to remember, if Gentoo ever changes
23 into a "real, we take your money for support" type of distro, a lot of
24 the employers of the us developers might reconsider allowing them to
25 participate. Which would pretty much suck...
26
27 Aron, thanks for writing this up, I enjoyed it.
28
29 thanks,
30
31 greg k-h
32
33 p.s. And yes, Gentoo is used for a "base" distro all over the place, and
34 that's great. Lots of embedded people like it, and even the nitwits at
35 OSDL are using it for their "Linux Reference Platform" or whatever they
36 are calling it these days...
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list