From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Rewriting bash-completion.eclass
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:47:07
1 Hello,
2
3 Our bash-completion.eclass is awful and ugly. I'm not even talking
4 about flags and stuff now but dobashcompletion() itself.
5
6 That function doesn't follow do*() argument scheme; it matches rather
7 one used by new*() funcs. Sadly, a number of ebuilds is using that
8 scheme to rename installed file.
9
10 Furthermore, it uses two eclass variables to switch the behavior.
11
12 BASHCOMPFILES allows it to install multiple files (but works only if no
13 arguments are passed).
14
15 BASHCOMPLETION_NAME renames the installed file (if BASHCOMPFILES is not
16 used) and makes it ignore the second argument.
17
18 I think the way to go would be to reimplement it completely. Maybe just
19 put dobashcomp() and newbashcomp() functions in eutils (to not collide)
20 and deprecate bash-completion.eclass?
23 Best regards,
24 Michał Górny