From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 18:22:54
1 On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 2:05 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 09/10/2015 07:17 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> Given the fact that we are short on manpower and that most part of the
5 >>> linux ecosystem is moving towards gtk3... there has been no good
6 >>> argument to support a toolkit version - that is (about to be) deprecated
7 >>> - for exotic corner use cases that people tried to come up with in the
8 >>> heat of the argument.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> So, my issue is really with the proposition that we need a "good
12 >> argument" to support a toolkit version in the first place.
15 > Because:
16 > a) the gnome maintainers already said they are not interested in
17 > supporting it indefinitely (they are the maintainers of gtk+ as well)
18
19 I was not suggesting that anybody be forced to maintain gtk2 itself.
20 However, I don't see any efforts underway to remove it right now.
21 gtk2 isn't actually deprecated in Gentoo. If it were then I'd look at
22 things differently.
23
24 If the day comes when nobody wants to maintain gtk2 in the tree, then
25 it will have to go. If a single developer or proxy wants to maintain
26 it and does so, then it can stay.
27
28 And nothing in portage will be supported "indefinitely."
31 Rich