From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:12:12
1 On Saturday 04 October 2003 3:36 pm, Luke-Jr wrote:
2 > Packages don't neccesarilly need to be a kernel at all. If -src were
3 > implemented, there would be apache-src, kdelibs-src, gcc-src, etc...
4
5 That could get messy. What exactly is the problem that you're touting your
6 solution for?
7
8 > As it is, kernels are a non-standard set of ebuilds. There is always value
9 > is standardizing things.
10
11 Yeah, but standardisation can become a goal in of itself, and that's not
12 healthy.
13
14 > w/o the module's version. You don't want to install ALSA 0.9.2 and 0.9.3 at
15 > the same time, do you?
16
17 Probably not, no. But cloop-0.68 isn't compatible with cloop-1.0, for
18 example, and I would be interested in having both of those installed at the
19 same time.
20
21 > It would be making the linux ebuilds' src_compile actually do what it was
22 > meant to do.
23
24 Say's who? ;-)
25
26 > It would also be adding a feature to portage so one could
27 > append -src to the end of any ebuild and get only the result of src_unpack
28 > in their /usr/src dir.
29
30 Interesting, for sure.
31
32 > IMO, categories are merely useful for when searching for packages and
33 > shouldn't really be needed for knowing what a package is especially since
34 > two packages cannot have the same name.
35
36 Is that true? I thought the category was part of the package name.
37
38 > call it Gentoo GNU/Linux.
39
40 I won't bite that troll-bait ;-)
41
42 > AFAIK, this already should work. Note I don't use -u nor the world
43 > metakeyword (at least until Portage supports sticky USE), though.
44
45 But have you personally tested it, or can you point me to somewhere where this
46 behaviour is documented? I don't like assumptions.
47
48 Stu
49 --
50 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
51 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
52 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
53 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
54
55 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
56 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C