From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Summary line (was: Re: Referencing bug reports in git)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 14:53:26
1 On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 7:35 AM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 12 August 2015 at 02:28, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Stuff like 'cat/pn: version bumps', 'cat/pn: new features', 'cat/pn:
5 > > adjusted dependencies' are generic (and short) enough yet descriptive
6 > > enough to see what went on while scanning the log.
7 >
8 > I personally find those summaries a bit too terse.
11 Summaries are supposed to be terse, they are summaries ;)
15 > Mostly, because when I see "A version is bumped" I immediately expect
16 > to know which version the bump is to, but have to dig out the diff to
17 > find out.
20 So I thought we used to have scripts that would dig out this information
21 and populate them in headers?
22
23 -A
26 > I would also prefer, where possible, to replace "adjusted
27 > dependencies" to be more concise, like "include dev-perl/Foo in
28 > dependencies", ( though of course, apply some taste, listing more than
29 > 3 distinct new dependencies in the summary is execessive, treat them
30 > like hashtags on twitter, 1 is good, 2 is OK, 3 and you're starting to
31 > get crazy )
32 >
33 > > Multi-package commits are going to be more of an issue of course.. I
34 > > did one last night, fortunately I think I can get away with using
35 > > "mozilla packages" in place of cat/pn since it is a very specific set
36 > > of packages. Perhaps for sweeping changes like that we can use the
37 > > herdname or projectname or the category name (if its a particular
38 > > category only)?
39 >
40 > Agreed. If you need multi-package changes and you can't think of a
41 > good category prefix to use, the commit message should visibly
42 > acknowledge that its a multi-package commit of some kind, and the
43 > *kind* of change should be very clear.
44 >
45 > Just keep in mind really the recommendations for prefix naming are
46 > descriptive, not prescriptive, and interpretation and good taste need
47 > to be applied everywhere.
51 > --
52 > Kent
53 >