From: antonio.meireles@×××××××××.com
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gentoo[.org] reorg (GDN/GUN) - the ongoing saga - part two
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:02:36
1 this is beeing posted here, to be commented by an wider audience ...
2 (posted on 20/September on the core ML)
3 ____________________________________________________________________
4
5 ________________________________________________________________________
6 version 0.0.3 (20/September/2002 [23h50 GMT-0] )
10 ________________________________________________________________________
11 this is an ongoing document intendend to smoother/accelarate/improve all
12 things Gentoo related... feel free to improve and smooth it Comments are
13 obviously welcome
14
15 ________________________________________________________________________
16
17 We are not talking here about a simple web site reorganization, with
18 nicier, cutier graphics.
19
20 What we are, really, talking here is about creating a way to better
21 reach and serve our different audiences, either end-users, either
22 developers or simple curious people....
23
24 What we want also, is in short, better use the Web as a framework on
25 top of wich all Gentoo related developments will happen...
26
27 this message is specialy directed to those who think of themselves on
28 the line : "well, i 'm a developer, so i don 't care about the web site
29 and documentation stuff..."
30
31 The key for Gentoo continued, and sustained growth, is comunication...
32
33 Comunication between a (growing) developer base, Comunication between a
34 (growing) user base and Comunication and a true and fast flux of
35 information between all in the community.
36
37 In short, and again, Comunication, is the only way to assure long term
38 Gentoo sucess and survival...
39
40 Rigth now we face major challenges:
41 a growing user base (we 're already the fastest ever growing linux
42 distribution in history) and as a side effect we must start to
43 address the needs of those users in a serious and sustained way...
44 If we not start that now, we 're doomed to fail, as to a certain
45 extent Debian already have failed...
46
47 a growing QA problem : as the number of developers increses, so
48 increases the number of packages available, and the whole complexity
49 of the system and, as a side effect the possibility of happening
50 mistakes also increase ;
51 Since (AFAIK) neither Daniel nor Seemant nor either of the
52 developers is God or have God-like capabilities, the key to avoid
53 costly mistakes, that should simply never happen, if we ever want to
54 be a distro suitable, and scalable, from an appliance to a
55 datacenter is, and again, communication, syncronization between all
56 the moving parts and having ways to speed up the flux of the
57 information (changes/news/whatever) and, in the way, improving
58 productivity (by the way of shortening development time, avoiding
59 tasks duplication, etc) and quality...
60
61 The third, and perhaps, biggest, challenge we face is that the,
62 current, Gentoo development process has too many single points of
63 failure;
64 We are used to, simply, trust in a few individuals to assure
65 certain key areas... As a result these individuals, who are above
66 all humans, get overburned, and sometimes by focusing too much on
67 they 're own departments end loosing the focus to the global picture
68 ... Once and again, the key here is communication.
69 The main goal of the proposal above is to face and win all those
70 challenges!
71
72 We 're already winning on several fronts, we 're not Yet Another RPM
73 Based Distro, we 're not Another Old Unix with Linux clothes, we 're
74 already shapping what computing will be in the near future, and we 're
75 beeing sucessfull on that.
76
77 We already have an worlwide user base that in an worst case scenario is
78 of about 80.000 seats... But the best, could be yet to come...
79
80 But, for that, for not defrraud the high expactations that already
81 thousands of users worlwide have in us, our Internal and External
82 organization is fundamental because that it is the only way of assuring
83 fast and accurante communication between all parts... Addressing that,
84 the rest will be HISTORY !
87 and we must allways remember that in the start and in the end Gentoo is
88 about freedom:
89 * The freedom of not taking choice away from the user.
90 * The freedom of not making assumptions about what the user
91 wants.
92 * The freedom of having everything easy to customize and extend.
93 Gentoo is about the freedom to innovate, of thinking different and
94 accting differentelly, but it is also about assuming that different
95 people may have different needs, and that different needs may have
96 different and equaly effective solutions.
97
98 So if we want to be respected, we must also respect the others, let the
99 others be either different distributions, different Operating systems
100 or even simply different points of view.
104 It is with the above in mind that this proposal should be re-read and
105 re-thinked...
110 ________________________________________________________________________
111 Objectives/Goals:
112 * have gentoo.org to function as a central hub to all our
113 (growing) community
114 * from an end-user perspective
115 * from a developer perspective
116 * from a multilingual/multinational perpective
117 * from an OEM/ISV/VC perpective
118 * from a non (yet) gentoo-user perpective comming from *NIX
119 land
120 * from a non (yet) gentoo-user perspective comming fron Win*/Mac
121 ...
122 * from a (mainstream/IT) press perspective
123 * [insert here] from an yet not thougth perspective
124 Current issues/problems
125 * the current web site is confuse, graphically not very
126 atractive and lacks clear focus, doesn 't even have a search
127 function
128 * the current web site targets (almost) only english speaking
129 users
130 * there isn 't a clear separation between what is information
131 targeted at developers and what is information targeted at
132 end-users
133 * information regarding the same issues is disperse around
134 several places: Mailing lists, foruns, instalation docs,
135 bugzilla, etc, makind it hard to find for inexperienced users
136 * when one reach gentoo.org (non gentoo user/developer) there
137 isn 't a clear message about Gentoo nature, and what make him
138 different/better on the front-page
139 * the information/structure available is too english-centric
140 wich takes to the proliferation of national/regional gentooo
141 sites, which makes us loose cohesion and weakes the community
142 as a whole
143 * [insert here] other issues/problems
144 Watching how others handle the situation ... Four case studies
145 * Zope community
146 * www.zope.com
147 * www.zope.org
148 * Microsoft
149 * www.microsoft.com
150 * support.microsoft.com
151 * msdn.microsoft.com
152 * ActiveState
153 * www..activestate.com
154 * aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/
155 * Red Hat
156 * www.redhat.com
157 * www.redhat.com/apps/support/
158 Proposals/Remedies
159
160 split the current gentoo.org in diferent areas with clear different
161 focus
162 * www.gentoo.org
163 * here will be all the general stuff
164 * what is Gentoo (whith an high altitude FAQ)
165 * Advocacy Docs
166 * Social Contract
167 * Important News
168 * Propaganda Stuff (screenshots, users rave comments,
169 etc)
170 * Press Reviews
171 * Download Links
172 * [insert here] other relevant topics
173 * gdn.gentoo.org
174 * Gentoo Developer Network (here will be loccated all the
175 information relevant to developers - a cross of ASPN with
176 MSDN
177 * Developer Docs
178 * Bugzilla (developer side)
179 * Developers Only Knowledge Base
180 * Developers Only FAQ
181 * ARCH specific Documentation
182 * specific developer forums/wikis (see zope.org)
183 * developer Mailing Lists
184 * Hardware Compatibilty Guide
185 * i18n
186 * IRC logs from #gentoo-dev and #gentoo-qa
187 * roadmaps, etc
188 * [insert here] other relevant topics
189 * gun.gentoo.org
190 * Gentoo Users Network (here will be located all the
191 information relevant to end-users - a cross of
192 support.microsoft.com and www.zope.org)
193 * End-User HowTos
194 * End-User ARCH specific Documentation
195 * End-User Oriented Knowledge Base
196 * End-User Oriented FAQ collection (on the style of the
197 LDP)
198 * the three above items should be fully searchable
199 aand indexable)
200 * End-User Foruns and Wikis
201 * End-User Focused Polls (usabilty, features, etc)
202 * End-User Mailing Lists
203 * Hardware Compatibilty Guide (both by ARCH and by type
204 of HW (sound, networking, etc)
205 * shared with GDN, should have relevant info
206 extracted from bugzilla, forums, wikis, etc
207 regarding Hardware issues
208 * Bugzilla (end user side)
209 * [insert here] other relevant topics
210
211 * GDN could be mainly english based (as, like it or not, the English
212 is the lingua franca in this world)
213 * Both www.gentoo.org and GUN should/must support
214 internationalization of content rigth from the start ...
215 * GDN would only be accessible to registered Developers (with
216 perhaps different access levels(here we mean administartive
217 levels)) The vast majority of content on GDN should be read-only
218 to anonimous users, but in the same way that currently the acess
219 to the gentoo-core mailing list is restricted to members, the same
220 should also happen in GDN on some areas)
221 * GUN would be acessible read-only to all, but to take really
222 advantage users should register ...
223 * [insert here] other relevant notes
226 António Meireles, aka datashark at gentoo dot org
227