From: Benjamin Judas <beejay@g.o>
To: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Cascading profiles for normal Gentoo usage or not
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:32:23
1 Am Do, den 12.08.2004 schrieb Sven Vermeulen um 21:40:
2 > I'm very confused. Some developers tell me that we should use the cascading
3 > profiles now and that the flat profiles are outdated; others tell me that
4 > cascading profiles are still in development and shouldn't be advised for
5 > normal usage.
6
7 They need testing asap since they are planned to be used in the
8 .3-release. I wouldn't reccomend unexperienced users to use them,
9 especially not for new installations. I switched one of my boxen to
10 use a cascaded profile and except some reinstallations after switching
11 I didn't experience any problems yet. According to carpaski, portage is
12 completely able to handle them, but some external tools like ufed for
13 example can't handle them yet.
16 > What's the truth behind this? Do we all need to use the cascading profiles
17 > and the bootstrap-cascade.sh script or the flat profiles with the
18 > bootstrap.sh script?
19 >
20 > A very confused Sven Vermeulen
21 --
22 Benjamin Judas
23
25 Gentoo-developer http://dev.gentoo.org/~beejay
26 Giessen, Germany http://www.gentoo.org
27
28 GPG-Key : 0xC31DEDD8
29 Key-Fingerprint : 4E65 AAFE 785B 61D8 E4D9 1671 E017 87B7 C31D EDD8
30 Jabber : beejay@×××××××××.org
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list