From: James Northrup <glamdring-inc@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] i have an idea ! (erescue) ro-overlays
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 16:50:11
1 overall I'm quite pleased with genkernel and have relegated much
2 tedium to its functions over time. perhaps it's a worthy mule for
3 more responsibility.
4
5 I have mirror volumes which have survived almost 8 years with 2nd and
6 third generation drives, motherboard, and architecture (32->64 bit).
7
8 in those years, the newer revs which don't jump up and bite me in the
9 ass probably go unnoticed..
10
11 abstractly speaking, the clearest working example of what breaks is
12 oft-times a recent kernel on a recent install disk. slopping an
13 install disk on a modern hard-drive consumes but a gnat's real-estate.
14
15 using a symlink foundation does a pretty good job of allowing emerge
16 to over-write the static known-good binaries with dynamics, but
17 occasionally the gcc and/or libc is a repeatable failure and having
18 the ro overlay handy allows wholesale excision of the broken
19 installs, esp on young architectures.
20
21 for whatever reasons, I pack my cd-rom drive bays with hard drives,
22 and install with a cd-rom hanging off the side of the case tethered
23 by its cables... right about the time its a bootable system the cd-
24 rom comes off and the box is tucked into some crawl-space or other
25 behind desks, shelves, etc. and hopefully forgotten.