From: Stefan Sperling <stefan@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] perl, sed and non-gsed
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:17:33
1 On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 01:51:44PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:46:43 -0500 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | Frankly, it nukes the usefulness of gentoo macos/osx if portage just
5 > | stomps whatever the hell it wants.
6 > | This is why collision-protect is on by default after all.
7 >
8 > Hopefully that nonsense will be going away at some point...
9
10 So, there's a casual macosx user who does not yet dare to throw
11 away his os in favour of gentoo/ppc. Then he finds out that there
12 is a portage port for macosx, so why not give that a go?
13 If portage did any harm to his current beloved working macosx
14 system, and was difficult to get rid of again, would you expect
15 him to move to gentoo/ppc at some stage? I wouldn't.
16
17 When a friend of mine tried portage on macosx I was surprised
18 that things were being installed into /, not into some extra
19 portage directory as is common practice with *BSD ports and even
20 3rd party pkg managers for macosx, like fink. I suspect this has been
21 discussed in length before and that there were some good reasons
22 for this, imho, not very smart move.
23
24 All people I know who use macosx also use fink, not portage...
25 --
26 stefan PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list