From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Inconsistent and messy layout of team maintainership in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 22:17:18
1 On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > So, what are your thoughts for unmessing this?
6 This sounds familiar. :)
7
8 Honestly, I wouldn't mind combining them all. Just today I was pinged
9 by an !expn in IRC and thought to myself, "how many times have I typed
10 the wrong command to translate a group name into a list of members?"
11
12 Is there any way to just have one list of groups, and by all means we
13 can have a group-type as an attribute if that serves any purpose at
14 all, and we can either name the group by an email alias, or assign an
15 alias to a group? Ideally the same list would be used to populate the
16 mail aliases. That seems like it would make life much easier on
17 anybody writing software that accesses such lists, and perhaps we'd
18 stop worrying about what exactly a herd or a project or an alias is,
19 and which ones need to elect leads, and which ones don't, and maybe
20 just let each do whatever makes the most sense for the job at hand.
23 Rich