From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] How to deal with LINGUAS mess?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 19:36:00
1 On Sat, 21 May 2016 11:00:08 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Sat, 21 May 2016, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >
6 > > I see the following possibilities:
7 >
8 > > 1. We start explicitly listing linguas_* in all ebuilds, no matter
9 > > how tiny they are. Maintainers are required to keep IUSE up-to-date
10 > > and users are forced to rebuild a lot.
11 >
12 > Why would users have to rebuild more often? Language support in a
13 > package will change with a version bump, when they must rebuild in any
14 > case.
15
16 Except whenever:
17
18 1. developer fails to update lingua list, and needs to do so afterwards,
19
20 2. user changes his preference (i.e. I just built my system and figured
21 out I should really strip those damn locales),
22
23 3. user attempts to use binary packages (unless someone goes for
24 providing 2^n binary package variants).
27 > > This is also a QA violation in terms of invalid use of USE flags.
28 >
29 > I fail to see why this would be a QA violation.
30
31 It falls into the rule for controlling installation of small files.
32 Most of localizations are < 20 KiB.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny
37 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>