From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Distro Day (Measuring the benefits of the Gentoo approach)"
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:10:59
1 > We may be getting a P4 hyperthreaded system to play with, but under
2 > different rules, where I get to do a bit of tuning first. I have
3 > already built the core system on another machine using gcc-3.2.3,
4 > "-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" I note that the
5 > pentium4 warning still appears in make.conf, though I believe it no
6 > longer applies to this gcc.
7 >
8 > A while ago I emailed this list and asked for information on tests and
9 > settings for HT P4's, without a reply. So again, has anyone done any
10 > tests on a HT P4 and is willing to support the flags they chose as being
11 > "the best"? In particular, does -ffast-math give a measurable gain?
12 > Most of my machines have been built as scientific stations, so accuracy
13 > is more important than ultimate speed, so this is one I have never
14 > tested. I am not interested in the -O9 -max-everything kiddies who have
15 > been so vocal, but reasoned choices.
16 >
17 > If you want to flame, go ahead - but support your statements!
18
19 Well all packages that cannot handle -march=pentium4 should filter it out.
20 This filtering is imprefect so adding -mcpu=pentium4 should ensure correct
21 scheduling of all packages. One thing, do not use -ffast-math, as can be seen
22 in the manual this can actually produce mathematic errors. Normally one does
23 not want this in most packages, so leave it alone. It could be used in things
24 like games, wher the precision does not matter that much, but it is not safe
25 as a default.
26
27 Paul
30 Paul de Vrieze