From: Robert Wittams <robert@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Init replacement
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 13:11:38
1 Wouter van Kleunen wrote:
5 > I wrote a new init system that has numerous advantages over the old script
6 > based init system. Please have a look at:
7 >
8 > pinit.sf.net
9 >
10 > I am a gentoo user, and i converted my scripts -> services for my system.
11 > I would like to have feedback on this system. Please try it out on your
12 > system (safely from your home directory).
15 > Wouter
20 > --
21 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
22
23 If changing the init system is on the cards, it would be far better to go
24 for minit.
25
26 http://www.fefe.de/minit/
27
28 It is as small as possible, does not require massive unaudited libraries,
29 programmed with security in mind, does not impose a language requirement -
30 it will work with shell scripts just fine, but encourages the use of just
31 simple sym links. It wouldn't be overly arduous to make it work with
32 gentoos current system.
33
34 It can be linked against diet libc too, giving better performance and
35 reducing code bloat.
36
37 Robert Wittams
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list