From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Concept of Projects - How to proceed?
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 18:40:49
1 On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 2:14 PM Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 07/06/2020 03.43, Aaron Bauman wrote:
4 > > On Sun, Jun 07, 2020 at 01:49:28AM +0200, Jonas Stein wrote:
5 >
6 > > I will happily revert my change on the graphics project Wiki [..]
7 >
8 > Glad to read your offer. Yes, please do so.
9 >
10 > I think it would hurt the Gentoo project if single developers delete
11 > projects
12 >
13 > - without without informing the project members
14 > - without prior discussion (on gentoo-dev for example),
15 > - without vote/consent
16 > - without an organized shutdown (reassign bugs, archive things...).
17 >
18 > However we should continue to find a general solution for the problems
19 > discussed in this thread and find a general consent.
20
21 While I get what you're saying, I think it would also be helpful if we
22 just let people who feel they are actually impacted by changes like
23 this speak up for themselves, instead of assuming that they must exist
24 and that it is our duty to speak up for them.
25
26 Are you, directly, impacted in any negative way by this change? If so
27 it would probably be helpful if you just explained the issue.
28
29 This really seems like a fairly uneventful change. I do think it is
30 better to pre-announce changes. However, I suspect that most of the
31 fuss is because a lot of people assume that a change like this must
32 have some kind of big impact, and for whatever reason all the people
33 who are being harmed by it are just afraid to speak up so we must do
34 so on their behalf.
35
36 I say this as somebody who used to raise a lot more hypothetical
37 objections to changes in the past. I've since learned that it is easy
38 to over-react, and that when others are actually impacted by a change
39 they will tend to speak up.
40
41 I'm pretty sure in this case there was an organized shutdown - I doubt
42 they just removed the project without reassigning packages or bugs.
43 They were effectively already assigned to nobody as it was, since the
44 project was inactive.
45
46 I guess my point is that while this probably could be done in a better
47 way, I think it is likely to end up happening either way, so all
48 undoing it is going to do is send a lot of people two more rounds of
49 bugspam at best. Or, it will result in one more round of bugspam and
50 then these packages continue to be unmaintained because nobody is
51 going to bother doing all the steps you're suggesting to get rid of it
52 in the future. Easier to just leave the dead project around and let
53 users wonder why nobody pays attention to the bugs they open.
56 Rich