From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:39:20
1 On Saturday 24 of October 2009 16:00:03 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2
3 > Just so it is clear and there aren't any questions in the future. The
4 > XFCE team maintains a set of recommended global use flags in our docs[1]
5 > (maintained by Josh (nightmorph)). So, whatever direction this ends up,
6 > xfce will not be going down that same road.
7
8 Well, if XFCE 'satisfying use deps' USE flags are not excessive, I think they
9 could stay in desktop (parent) profile of course as desktop profile is meant
10 for general use desktop. This would address some parts of Nirbheek's concern.
11
12 > Additionally, One cool thing about Gentoo is that you *can* have more
13 > than one DE installed. We don't have things like KGentoo =P I hope this
14 > profile thing doesn't make it harder for end users to use GNOME and KDE
15 > at the same time.
16
17 That's the 'edge' case we encounter. Of course splitting desktop profile
18 *will* make it harder for them to have GNOME and KDE at the same time. But, to
19 be clear, we're talking here mainly about default USE flags (not gnome-base/*
20 entries in package.mask in KDE subprofile... hmm, jmbsvicetto? worth
21 considering... ;) )
22 Splitting profiles is to provide out of the box desktop specific solutions
23 (because that's what majority uses afaik, though I don't have any poll to back
24 my words), not to prevent anyone from mixing things - those may just need the
25 same package.use/make.conf effort to set it up (mainly to satisfy USE deps, as
26 one can put recommended USE flags in +EAPI-1 IUSE in desktop environment
27 ebuilds after all).
30 regards
31 MM