From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and subproject status
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 13:14:37
1 On Jan 9, 2008 1:12 PM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2 > Recruiters
5 > > About the stuff I'm involved:
6 > >
7 > > Are we fine?
8 >
9 > If Calchan agrees, we are fine.
10
11 I'm taking care of recruits as fast as I can. I figure any time I
12 spend for the recruiters project is worth a lot more than the same
13 time spent on fixing dev-embedded, sci-electronics or other exotic
14 ebuilds I usually maintain. The good news is I'm close to being able
15 to keep up, i.e. there is very little backlog if any. The bad news is
16 that we'd need to recruit more, and if an additional flow of recruits
17 were to arrive (and that would be welcome) a backlog would certainly
18 start to build up. Also I'm traveling more than I used to (and would
19 like) nowadays, and I'm going to move to the US this summer. So you
20 should expect some offlineness from my part for a few months while I
21 swim across the pond.
22
23 > > What are we going to do:
26 > Keep going as usual.
27
28 All in all, we'd need an additional recruiter. Candidates are welcome,
29 but you should know that although it is a very gratifying job, it
30 takes a lot of time and dedication if you want to do it properly. Each
31 recruit takes me anywhere between 6 and 12 hours depending on how many
32 gaps I have to fill. We need as many recruits as possible, but need to
33 have them of sufficient quality. One way to go is to reject those that
34 aren't good enough, and another is to bring as many as you can to a
35 level where they can be useful. I much prefer the latter because I
36 don't think we can afford the former.
37
38 We would also need to attract more recruits. I'm doing my best to
39 relay queries from potential recruits to various teams and projects,
40 but I'm afraid to say it's seldom that these are answered. So please,
41 whoever you are and even if you're not a project/team leader, next
42 time you're forwarded such mail by me please reply to the user's
43 queries. At the very least you should politely decline the offer. And
44 mentoring will take you some time, but it's time well invested for the
45 future of your project.
46
47 Finally, if you're a mentor, or are considering mentoring somebody, do
48 not hesitate to contact us in case you have any questions. I have
49 tried to update our documentation recently, so you'll find valuable
50 practical information in there although more could be needed
51 (suggestions welcome). And do not hesitate to go hunting for recruits
52 instead of complaining you don't have enough time managing your Gentoo
53 stuff. For that too we'll be happy to advise.
54
55 Happy new year to each one of you.
56 Denis.