From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Java 9 on Gentoo
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 17:07:35
1 On 11/17/2017 04:15 AM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 03:24:47 -0500
3 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> The icedtea from source ebuild is a result of RedHat. The main person
6 >> at RedHat responsible for their open source Java is the author of
7 >> Icedtea. He uses Gentoo as his development/test platform. Gentoo
8 >> usually will have that at least the same time as others, if not before
9 >> all others.
10 >>
11 >> If it was not for him, and RedHat paying him. I doubt Gentoo would
12 >> have from source Java. Not to discount Chewi/James efforts. But the
13 >> author of Icedtea is the one maintaining that in java-overlay.
14 >
15 > Something to keep in mind. Part of why Icedtea lags like with Java 9.
16 > The Icedtea author as part of their role at RedHat is responsible for
17 > older versions as well. Much of their time is consumed in dealing with
18 > older. Thus the latest does not always get as much time, or 100%.
19 >
20 > Next month 1.6 ends, but with 9 out not sure it helps. Still has 1.7
21 > and 1.8 for some time to come. They have to maintain 3 versions...
22 > https://access.redhat.com/articles/1299013
25 Oh come on!
26
27 Triple posting to the ML?
28
29 Do we really need to have another discussion about not being spammy...
30 Please... Think before you post...
33 NP-Hardass