From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, overlays@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Repo mirror & CI project news: 'stable' gentoo branch, new repo stats, faster CI
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 16:04:46
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 I have the pleasure to announce that a few improvements have been
4 deployed by the Repository mirror & CI project today.
7 1. The mirror for 'gentoo' repository [1] now has a default 'stable'
8 branch. It is updated automatically by the gentoo-ci checker,
9 and therefore always contains the latest repository state that has been
10 confirmed 'green' by CI. While this is far from perfect, it's the first
11 step towards preventing major issues from being deployed on our users.
12
13 If you are already using the mirror, you will need to either switch
14 branch manually, or re-add it.
17 2. The repository QA report [2] has been extended with some repository
18 statistics. In particular, the timestamp of the newest commit
19 and the number of valid (that is, those not dying in global scope)
20 ebuilds are reported. Additionally, the homepage link is now included
21 as well.
22
23 This enables the Overlays team members to easily check which repositories
24 are unmaintained and/or empty, and handle the issues more efficiently.
25 It can also be useful to users who want to figure out whether there's
26 a point in using a particular repository.
29 3. I've tried to optimize the logic used to run QA checks on
30 repositories, and I think I was able to even the load better.
31 Additionally, I've repacked the git repositories to get rid of huge
32 number of loose objects.
33
34 As a result, CI now runs faster. The gentoo-ci runs are down from 10-12
35 minutes to 7-8 minutes, and pull requests from 16-18 minutes to 9-14
36 minutes. However, I don't have exact results yet as the server is still
37 busy removing old files ;-).
40 4. Finally, the mirroring code has been updated to correctly handle git
41 repositories for which 'master' is not the default branch.
44 Enjoy!
47 [1]:https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo
48 [2]:https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/repos/
51 Best regards,