From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] development update
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:58:21
1 Hi All,
2
3 I felt the need to send out a quick development update, so here it is. Portage
4 development is going very well; I now have recursive ebuilds working; the
5 algorithms are sound, but I still need to rework the code and do some testing.
6 I've fixed numerous bugs in portage.py. These changes haven't been committed
7 yet. All in all, Portage is undergoing a dramatic change and will "feel" like
8 a whole new animal in the Portage 1.5 release.
9
10 Also, I've implemented the foundation of our new "system profile" support.
11 What this will mean in the near future is that virtual dependencies will be
12 resolved correctly. So, if an ebuild needs virtual/x11-web-browser to be
13 installed, it'll consult the system profile "virtual" file and resolve
14 virtual/x11-web-browser to net-www/netscape. Of course, system profiles will
15 be fully customizable so that virtual dependencies can be satisfied exactly how
16 you'd like them to be. One sentence summary: recursive pkgmerging and
17 "emerging" will work perfectly very very soon.
18
19 Once I get these major improvements incorporated into ebuild, we'll be almost
20 ready to release 1.0_pre4. After the release, I'd like to begin focusing more
21 on documentation, so that we're split about 50/50 between documentation
22 development and work on the Portage tree.
23
24 That's all for now,
27 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
28 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org