From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com>
Cc: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *IMPORTANT* top-level management structure!
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:04:48
1 On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 05:02:32AM +0200, Tony Clark wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 June 2003 03.33, Daniel Robbins wrote:
3 [snip]
4 > 1. What is Gentoo 1.4. What it may have been intended to be in January is
5 > probably not what it is going to be now. Before you recruit all and sundry
6 > you have to define this as if it isn't defined everything will fall down and
7 > chaos will return. Some basic things I see is that it needs to be are:
8 > gcc3.3 based
9 > glibc2.3.2
10 > openssl0.9.7
11
12 We can do this if you want to wait another couple of months.
13
14 Unfortunately, there are some requests to have 1.4 ready for LWESF at
15 the beginning of August.
16
17 This is not viable. The tree is not gcc3.3-ready and OpenSSL 0.9.7 needs
18 a much more mature upgrade path, otherwise there will be serious
19 breakage (you need to remerge wget without ssl support, then merge the
20 new openssl, then rebuild everything depending on it currently).
21
22 > 2. What are the core applications. Is it a desktop, a server orinitated
23 > system or a system compremised to do both. I would suggest desktop as I
24 > think thats what it is mainly used for, but I don't have the stats so I could
25 > be well off the mark. (Market research required)
26
27 I don't understand what you mean by 'core applications' in this context.
28
29 > 3. What platform should be supported at release time. Here I think x86 and
30 > maybe x86-64. Targeting too many will just delay it. Have some other dates
31 > for the rest to follow.
32
33 We target all platforms that're release-ready. Right now, that's x86,
34 ppc, and sparc. Release-ready means the tree is prepped, the stages and
35 LiveCDs can be built, install documents are up on the site.
38 > These are just really fundementals but until the requirements are documented
39 > things will never really come together.
40 >
41 > Get things out in the open. Gentoo-core is probably the worst idea someone
42 > ever came up with, OSS development is meant to be a very transparent process.
43 > Make it transparent. I know there are always private issues but if they
44 > involve more than 3 people then perhaps they should be public.
45
46 We are making it transparent by discussing development on gentoo-dev.
49 Jon Portnoy
50 avenj/irc.freenode.net
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list