From: John Helmert III <ajak@g.o>
To: ago@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Disturbing state of arch testing in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 19:15:36
1 On Sun, Nov 06, 2022 at 08:03:16PM +0100, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
2 > On domenica 6 novembre 2022 14:27:40 CET John Helmert III wrote:
3 > > As far as I can tell, there's ONE person relying completely on a
4 > > proprietary arch testing system.
5 > >
6 > > Ago, could you comment on this? What's blocking you from open sourcing
7 > > your software?
8 >
9 > Hi,
10 >
11 > I already answered in the previous post:
12 >
13 > "I still use getatoms.py to fetch 'doable' stablereqs (it is on my todo
14 > to switch to nattka). And I have a script the **simply** does emerge over the list of
15 > the packages. There is nothing obscure in it."
16 >
17 > I'm working in arch testing since 2009. In the past I relied on scripts done by someone else
18 > and every time there was an issue I got no response.
19
20 And so you force that frustration on everyone else? Why?
21
22 > At a certain point I decided to make my own script in language I know so I can edit it when
23 > is needed.
24
25 None of this blocks you from open sourcing it. Is your reason for not
26 open-sourcing your automation really that "There is nothing obscure in
27 it"?
28
29 You also ignored my other question:
30
31 "I'll also point out that you removed the Github repository that you
32 used to tell people to report issues with your CI at, while there were
33 several outstanding issues. Why?"
34
35 > Since few years we allow self stabilization from maintainer. Do we know how and with
36 > what they test? No because it is not required.
37 > The requirement for test is that the package you are testing works as expected.
38 >
39 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:AMD64_Arch_Testers#Arch_tester.27s_policy[1]
40 >
41 > Agostino