From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES use or misuse?
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:27:52
Patrick Lauer wrote:
> Hi there, > > a while ago Thilo Bangert spent quite some time on filing lots of bugs. While > I appreciate such QA efforts I don't agree with those bugs at all. > > All of these bugs were for the use of the FEATURES variable in ebuilds, which > is a very convenient thing to work around issues. > For example known failures with FEATURE="distcc" or funky things like test > failures with FEATURES="userpriv" and so on. All other methods of expressing > that are much more verbose and inherently sucky.
What other methods are there?
> One example of such a bug is > for those too lazy to search.
For that very case I remember that "test" is a global use flag as well and that therefore at least if hasq test ${FEATURES} ; then [..] fi has a cleaner use-flag-based equivalent. # euse -i test global use flags (searching: test) ************************************************************ [- ] test - Workaround to pull in packages needed to run with FEATURES=test. Portage-2.1.2 handles this internally, so don't set it in make.conf/package.use anymore
> To quote: > "FEATURES is a portage specific package manager configuration variable not > specified in PMS and cannot reliably be used in ebuilds or eclasses."
Makes sense to me atm.
> Well then, I suggest we finally start documenting reality and fix PMS. The use > of the FEATURES variable, while it has been there for ... uhm ... as long as I > can think back, actually :), should not be randomly suppressed. > > So ... what's your opinion? Should we do things as they are correct, or as > they are specified in PMS? ( /me points at bash 3.0 )
My opinion is: please stop dissing PMS, it doesn't help anybody. I have requested that from you before. Would a patch for the next EAPI theoretically impossible? Sebastian

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES use or misuse? Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>