From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Notification about MD5 support
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:07:45
1 Am Donnerstag, 21. September 2006 16:49 schrieb Vlastimil Babka:
2 > Although the "more secure than MD5" part is now questionable, I suppose
3 > the "directly available in python" part still holds?
4
5 From "What's new in python 2.5"
6
7 13.3 The hashlib package
8 A new hashlib module, written by Gregory P. Smith, has been added to replace
9 the md5 and sha modules. hashlib adds support for additional secure hashes
10 (SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512). When available, the module uses
11 OpenSSL for fast platform optimized implementations of algorithms.
12 The old md5 and sha modules still exist as wrappers around hashlib to
13 preserve backwards compatibility. The new module's interface is very close to
14 that of the old modules, but not identical. The most significant difference
15 is that the constructor functions for creating new hashing objects are named
16 differently.
19 I think sha256/512 is the only thing that makes sense at the moment, as it
20 most probably will stay secure for quite a while and we don't have real
21 alternatives. So imho use sha256, get rid of everything else, because that
22 rarely improves security, and wait for the nist to define something new
23 (which will happen, but probably take some years from now).
24
25 cu,
26
27 Hanno