From: Christoph Mende <angelos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] developer profile, FEATURES=digest
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:45:11
1 On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 16:57 +0200, Thomas Kahle wrote:
2 > On 13:13 Sun 27 Mar , "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
3 > > FEATURES=digest results in a scary warning and a possibly dangerous
4 > > re-generation of manifests at the beginning of every emerge:
5 > >
6 > > * The FEATURES=digest setting can prevent corruption from being noticed.
7 > > * The `repoman manifest` command is the preferred way to generate
8 > > * manifests and it is capable of doing an entire repository or category at
9 > > * once.
10 > >
11 > > However, FEATURES=digest is enabled in the developer profile, and only
12 > > in that profile:
13 > >
14 > > $ egrep '^FEATURES=.*digest' -r /usr/portage/profiles/
15 > > /usr/portage/profiles/targets/developer/make.defaults:FEATURES="collision-protect
16 > > digest multilib-strict sign splitdebug stricter test test-fail-continue
17 > > userpriv usersandbox"
18 > >
19 > > I'd like to suggest removing "digest" from the line above. I've been
20 > > running with the developer profile and -digest in /etc/make.conf, and
21 > > everything is working fine.
22 >
23 > +1.
24 >
25 > I disabled it on the first day and never had any issues.
26 >
27 > Thomas
32 I guess the real question here is: why was it enabled?