From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] package naming
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:46:02
1 Hi list.
2
3 I've been working on getting a Gentoo version of Debians resolvconf package
4 into portage. It's basically a re-write of the internals (which I don't like)
5 but the command line, setup and plugin system are 100% compatible (except for
6 the plugins which may need one line changing). As such, I've credited the
7 original author (Thomas Hood) and basically said this is a Gentoo re-write.
8 It's all good to go and all dhcp clients in portage and openvpn have patches
9 ready for its optional support. dhcp (dhclient) and ppp have already been
10 patched in portage.
11
12 Now, if the commandline is the same, should the package name be the same? If
13 so, what version number should I be using? It's currently just called
14 resolvconf-0.1
15
16 Thoughts?
17
18 BTW, baselayout-1.12 has always had a resolv.conf management system, but that
19 was coded on a per package basis - resolvconf allows each package to inject
20 dns setup without being reliant on baselayout. So baselayout-1.12.0_pre17
21 will be a fair bit lighter!
22
23 Thanks
26 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>