From: Seth Mos <knuffie@××××××.nl>
To: davidsmind@×××××××××××.com, gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: Fscked file or fscked filesystem?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:21:04
1 At 00:51 15-1-2003 -0800, david mattatall wrote:
2 >ls -ls /usr/kde/cvs/bin/kreversi
3 >ls: /usr/kde/cvs/bin/kreversi: Unknown error 990
4 >
5 >rm -vf /usr/kde/cvs/bin/kreversi
6 >rm: cannot remove `/usr/kde/cvs/bin/kreversi': Unknown error 990
7 >
8 >file /usr/kde/cvs/bin/kreversi
9 >/usr/kde/cvs/bin/kreversi: can't stat `/usr/kde/cvs/bin/kreversi' (Unknown
10 >error 990).
11
12 Please read the XFS FAQ, 990 stands for filesystem corruption which could
13 be anything. Very recent 2.4.19 trees have a bit more verbose explanation
14 of what went wrong were.
15
16 >This is the only file on my hard disk that is acting this way and I've run
17 >fsck.xfs on the disk and rebooted multiple times without effect.
18
19 umount the filesystem so it is clean. Then run xfs-repair or xfs_repair -n
20 if you want to see what it will do first.
21
22 >Is this an easily fixable problem? A kernel bug? FS corruption?
23
24 Yes, filesystem corruption. If it doesn't cause a panic or oops it is not
25 really serious yet. This error was rather common in the gcc 2.96 days when
26 it just came out.
27
28 Cheers
29 --
30 Seth
31 It might just be your lucky day, if you only knew.
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list