From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: James Yonan <jim@×××××.net>
Cc: Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The problem of stable/current. Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] the vision for Gentoo
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:03:06
1 On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 00:59, James Yonan wrote:
2 > Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o> said:
3 >
4 > > On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 23:31, James Yonan wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > Just to throw out an idea on creating a generalization to stable/current (I'm
7 > > > new to Gentoo, so I'm not sure how much of this has already been done, or to
8 > > > what extent these ideas have already been made concrete in the portage
9 > concept).
10 > > >
11 > > > Why not create a notion of a distribution "checkpoint"?
12 > > >
13 > > > A checkpoint is a file that contains all information necessary to build a
14 > > > particular gentoo distribution as it existed at some point in time, similar to
15 > > > the idea of a cvs tag, or saving the game before you do something that's
16 > > > likely to get you killed :)
17 > >
18 > > Unfortunately a big problem with this, is that ebuild do not stick
19 > > around long enouth ... except of course if you do it your side.
20 > >
21 > > IMHO, I do not see that we can do it with current implementation
22 > > of the portage tree, even if we do not cleanup stuff - as if we
23 > > do not, the tree is going to get *too* big.
24 >
25 > Well, the idea would be to manage the size by having a benchmark portage tree
26 > and then representing a custom tree inside an .ebuild file by taking the
27 > benchmark portage tree reference + one or more patch deltas. The
28 > "distribution ebuild" file would really not be large, as it would contain
29 > little more than tags, references, and patches, just as standard ebuild files
30 > exist today for packages. Since cvs already manages repository size by
31 > representing changes as deltas, I doubt a cvs explosion would be likely. The
32 > real win with cvs (or other versioning tools) is the way in which tags can be
33 > locked to constant snapshots of the tree which are invariant over the lifetime
34 > of the repository. This constancy is important because it provides a solid
35 > foundation against which patch deltas can be derived, and would therefore
36 > allow a particular gentoo snapshot (as represented by a patch against a cvs
37 > tag) to be accessible indefinitely, leveraging the versioning capability of
38 > cvs to prevent explosions in size and complexity.
41 Well, sure, if we can do that from where it is migrated from cvs to the
42 rsync servers. We have gone into before, and it will make things too
43 complex in trying to have one ebuild file, but multiple versions.
49 Martin Schlemmer
50 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
51 Cape Town, South Africa