From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] Official support for migrating ebuilds out of games.eclass
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 08:00:34
1 On 06/29/2016 04:02 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I'm glad to see some reach-out here and taking responsibility for
4 >> decisions. However, what does the QA team have to say about systems that
5 >> want games on other media (such as an SSD or separate HDD), or wish to
6 >> restrict the use of games on their system to certain accounts?
7 >>
8 >> Bumping EAPI won't magically allow those to happen, and removing the
9 >> eclass *will* break those use cases. What's the "blessed" way to do those?
10 >
11 > Per-package install locations? Sounds like a possible future EAPI
12 > feature? Of course, the real trick is when packages need to interact
13 > and the files aren't in a fixed location.
14 >
15 > In general right now I don't think we have a blessed way to install
16 > stuff in non-standard locations. Obviously you can fork an ebuild and
17 > modify it, but if somebody wants to install KDE in /usr/kde/ and X11
18 > into /usr/X11R6/ there isn't a clean way to do it.
19 >
20 A conversation or two I've had about it pointed to EPREFIX or some other
21 variable/function that (I was told) the Prefix team would know a bit
22 more about. I'm not even looking for something supported, per se.
23 Supporting ebuilds that can be installed anywhere is a bit much for
24 maintainers to worry about. But having the ability to, and having it
25 documented, would be great. Even if it's something like "Gentoo Linux
26 does not officially support or endorse this method, but here's how to
27 get it working". An EAPI bump may be nice on paper, but I have a feeling
28 implementing it would be a pain to support tree-wide.
29
30 Does the Prefix team have any recommendations in that department?
31
32 That's what I think this drama is about; changes being pushed from
33 people who don't work on games, then leaving these game maintainers (and
34 users) in the dark without a "correct" way to achieve what they're
35 after. We can do better than that, and it's solvable in a technical
36 manner, which is why I'm focused on it.
37
38 ---
39
40 On the political side...
41
42 Do teams hold any authority (or veto power, whatever you want to call
43 it) over their own ebuilds? Is it reasonable to rip functionality out
44 from under a group of developers and tell them to deal with it?
45
46 I think teams deserve autonomy over their own ebuilds, and should
47 ideally follow QA guidelines *where reasonable*. Any good QA team should
48 have iron-clad reasons behind their decisions, and answers for
49 'what-ifs' that exist outside of the ideal perfection that QA tends to
50 operate in.
51
52 Removing eclasses without really good reason and without replacements
53 for missing use cases simply shouldn't happen. I wouldn't want that done
54 to me, and I'd definitely not (knowingly) help someone else do it.
55 --
56 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
57 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
58 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6