From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: openrc-0.28 mounts efivars read only
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 00:05:18
1 On Jul 13, 2017 7:42 PM, "Mike Gilbert" <floppymaster@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 On Jul 13, 2017 7:30 PM, "William Hubbs" <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4
5 On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 08:52:23AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
6 > On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:30:12PM +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
7 > > On 07/12/2017 05:42 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
8 > > > OpenRC 0.28 will mount efivars read only by default due to concerns
9 > > > about users bricking systems by writing to this filesystem
10 unexpectedly.
11 > > >
12 > > > Here is the newsitem covering this change.
13 > >
14 > > Although the changes seems sensible, I'm wondering if a news item is
15 > > necessary for this case versus other documentation and script updates to
16 > > reflect this change. For one thing it seems it will have minimal effect
17 > > on a running system and not needing a migration path / configuration
18 > > updates except in cases where bootloader installs are done; how
19 > > intuitive is the feedback in this process when it is read-only?
20 >
21 > I have no idea; I've never used an efi system.
22 >
23 > For people who are not using efi systems, and as long as you don't mess
24 > with your boot loader, you are correct that this change means nothing.
25 > There is no migration path and nothing really for a user to do.
26 >
27 > This is already documented in NEWS.md upstream and in the ChangeLog.
28 >
29 > I can spin up the release in an hour or so, and if there is no need for a
30 > newsitem, I will consider the newsitem canceled.
31
32 No one objected to me putting out the release, so it is now available.
33
34 I'll give another 24 hours for someone to tell me if they think we still
35 need a newsitem.
36
37 Thanks,
38
39 William
42 We still need documentation updates for packages that use efivarfs, but
43 apparently you don't care.
46 Sorry, I missed the replies from Lucas.