From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Gentoo GPG key policies
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 03:12:47
1 On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 01:34:57AM +0100, Stefan Behte wrote:
2 > > 2. root key & signing subkey of EITHER: 2.1. DSA, 1024 or 2048 bits
3 > > 2.2. RSA, >=2048 bits
4 ...
5 > 1024 DSA keys seem pretty short to me. Surely it might be inconvenient
6 > for some (2-3? please write a mail here!) people with smart cards. But
7 > then again, especially people going through the hell of using a
8 > physical token would understand the need for decent crypto. ;)
9 A physical token defends against a different method of attack than a
10 longer key. Simply having a longer key isn't going to help you if store
11 the key on the laptop and it gets compromised: presuming the attacker
12 extracts your secret key and passphrase). In such a case, the smartcard
13 at worst limits him to doing some number of signatures only, or even
14 better if the reader has a hardwired pinpad, he gets nowhere at all.
15
16 Also, if there is a Well-Funded-Organization attacking Gentoo, there are
17 MUCH more effective ways for them to compromise us. Any perceived gains
18 in that field from requiring DSA2048 and blocking DSA1024 should be
19 examined very closely.
20
21 > I think key rotation is overdoing it and pretty annoying. Better use a
22 > non-annoying, long key from the start?
23 NOWHERE did I require key rotation. Why do you think that I did?
24 My own key is more than a decade old. I need to see about replacing it
25 soon, but I've been trying to hold out for the OpenPGP standard to have
26 ECC included, before I repeat getting my extremely large web-of-trust.
27
28 > > 4. If you intend to sign on a slow alternative-arch, you may find
29 > > adding a DSA1024 subkey significantly speeds up the signing.
30 > How slow is that actually? Does it make signing very inconvenient?
31 > Maybe someone with a slow machine can write about performance and the
32 > "annoyence-factor"... ;)
33 Some benchmark results from hake.hppa.dev.g.o, 552Mhz PA-RISC box.
34
35 Average of running clearsign ~100 times, for various signature types.
36 The gpg.conf was set as in my initial post.
37
38 DSA1024 0.059830s
39 DSA2048 0.158800s
40 DSA3072 0.274850s
41 RSA1024 0.060020s
42 RSA2048 0.173070s
43 RSA4096 0.896480s
44
45 For reasons of time, while I wanted to create the keys on the host as
46 well for timing, I gave up after the first key, DSA1024, took more than
47 3 minutes (I did ensure that /dev/random was not the blocking factor).
48
49 If somebody from MIPS or m68k wants to chime in, I think they probably
50 have the slowest hardware around presently.
53 Robin Hugh Johnson
54 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
55 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
56 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85