From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:27:14
1 On Wednesday 21 July 2004 11:38 am, Lina Pezzella wrote:
2
3 > I agree completely with this suggestion. Personally at my workplace, my
4 > boss was considering going with debian because you could specify to only
5 > update for security reasons (through only placing security repositories
6 > in sources.list). Fortunately for me, he had a few bad experiences with
7 > debian developers and went with gentoo despite the lack of the
8 > security-updates-only option. Adding an [S] option to emerge -pv would
9 > certainly make our lives easier here, and at many corporations who don't
10 > see the need to update regularly.
13 Friends, making Gentoo enterprise-ready is bigger in scope than just
14 handling security updates. If all you want to do is to check for security
15 updates, merge gentoolkit and use 'glsa-check'.
16
17 It would be good to clarify what the goals are here, and what the specific
18 issues are that need addressing.
19
20 For the many of the IT shops who need more than a way to isolate security
21 updates, I'll try to summarize with one word (I think) fits: predictable.
22 That means:
23
24 - knowing what each release contains (in detail, with version #s)
25 - understanding what pkgs will get enhancements, and which ones will only
26 get security updates & major bugfixes.
27 - having enough information to know what a change specifically contains
28 - a regular, time-based release schedule (such as every six months); thus
29 an organization can time & plan its infrastructure changes with expected
30 OS updates.
31 - knowing that Gentoo does regression testing of security updates & major
32 bugfixes back through old (but supported) releases before committing.
33
34 ... and etc, etc. This isn't a quick tweak to 'emerge', or a gentoolkit
35 utility. I wish it were that simple. It involves improving Gentoo's
36 practices and procedures, as well as enhancing portage to accommodate the
37 necessary functions an enterprise customer receives currently with other
38 operating systems, and expects ... (short of having paid commercial
39 support).
40
41 There are some things we can do-- because of Portage itself-- that set us
42 apart from other distributions. Minimize the need for paid support.
43 That should be, IMO, the underlying goal of this effort -- to give the
44 users the enterprise tools they need to be self-reliant (i.e., not shoot
45 one's self in the foot).
46
47 Beyond that we need to start looking helping sites with large numbers of
48 Gentoo machines with deployment and administration tools. No need to
49 write our own stuff, the tools are already out there. We just need to
50 package and integrate them with how we do things in Gentoo, and write
51 enough supporting documentation.
52
53 Cheers,
54 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]