From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: baselayout 2.5 changes
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 15:37:27
1 William Hubbs posted on Thu, 08 Feb 2018 13:52:56 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > here is a proposed newsitem for baselayout 2.5.
4
5 > There are three significant changes in baselayout-2.5.
6 >
7 > The first change is that ROOTPATH is no longer set. This means all of
8 > the *sbin directories will be added to the default path for all users
9 > instead of just the root user.
10
11 Makes sense and is important for users to know.
12
13 > I know of no packages outside of
14 > baselayout that used the ROOTPATH variable; however, if packages do use
15 > it, they will need to be adjusted to use PATH instead.
16
17 Omit that as dev, not user, focused?
18
19 > The second change is that baselayout is taking ownership of most of the
20 > directories it creates. This includes all directories in / and /usr
21 > excluding /lib* and /usr/lib*. Once we drop support for SYMLINK_LIB,
22 > baselayout will take ownership of /lib* and /usr/lib* as well.
23
24 What's the effect if the "directory" is a symlink to elsewhere?
25
26 Here, the following system "directories" are actually symlinks:
27
28 # makes installing grub to multiple devices much easier
29 /boot -> /bt
30
31 # "reverse" usrmerge
32 /usr -> .
33
34 # would be /usr/games, but with reverse usrmerge...
35 /game -> .
36
37 # shorter path
38 /home -> h
39
40 # lib(64) merge (including /usr/lib(64)
41 /lib -> lib64
42
43 # would be /usr/local, /l is so much shorter
44 /local -> l
45
46 # (s)bin merge (including /usr/(s)bin)
47 /sbin -> bin
48
49 # shouldn't appear on a desktop/workstation system, but bugs...
50 /srv -> tmp
51
52 # shorter log path (/lg as /l already taken by local)
53 /var/log -> /lg
54
55 > Third is the beginning of support for the /usr merge through the
56 > addition of the usrmerge use flag.
57 > DO NOT, DO NOT TURN THIS ON UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND CAN
58 > HELP WITH TESTING.
59
60 What about "reverse" usrmerge as above? Flag on or not? Maybe I just
61 turn it on (obviously after updating my backups) to help test?
66 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman