From: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Enterprise deployment tools
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:07:15
1 Omkhar Arasaratnam wrote:
2
3 > I think most of the assumptions that you're making involve giving your
4 > user population root access.
5 > Don't
6
7 ??
8 The assumptions I am making are clearly not involving giving a user
9 population root access. I just point to the lack of tools to maintain
10 semi-frozen trees and to automate software updates on a large enterprise
11 desktop deployment, and try to see if this gathers interest. I fail to
12 see where I need to give wheel to user.
13
14 My position would rather be that workstations don't need a portage tree
15 or an emerge command. A software deployment server could push package
16 installation on workstations and keep track of what's installed where
17 and with which configuration files.
20 Thierry Carrez (Koon)
21 Gentoo Linux Security
22 --