From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some ideas on how to reduce territoriality
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 01:21:21
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
5 > More and more, I am finding developers who are afraid to touch packages
6 > for even minor things if they're not the maintainer. This is a sad
7 > state of affairs and not the reason we have maintainers. We have
8 > maintainers to assure that a package is being taken care of, not to
9 > establish some kind of "territory" over that package. Because of this
10 > misconception, I would like to come up with and document a listing of
11 > things that any ebuild developer can feel free to do to any package
12 > *without* maintainer consent. These are generally all minor things, but
13 > things that I think are important. I'm going to list off the things
14 > that I can think of, and encourage everyone else to speak up if I've
15 > missed something.
16 >
17 > - HOMEPAGE changes
18 > - LICENSE changes
19 > - arch-specific patches/dependencies - If someone is requesting KEYWORD
20 > changes on a package and it requires a patch or additional dependencies
21 > for your architecture, you are not only permitted, but really are
22 > required to make the necessary changes to add support for your
23 > architecture.
24
25 I am not sure about this last one ... what if for example this patch is
26 only for supporting a special option of the package for that
27 architecture, but the maintainer of the package found out that such a
28 patch is unnecessary and/or will cause other kind of problems in the
29 package, therefore preferring avoiding such a patch ... or he just
30 wouldn't like to apply the patch for X or Y; or even further, he just
31 wouldn't like to have such a package available for that architecture
32 just yet for Z or W.
33
34 > - Typo fixes
35 > - SRC_URI changes - If the source has moved, feel free to fix it. We
36 > shouldn't have to wait on the maintainer to fix something this simple.
37 > - *DEPEND changes due to changes in your packages - If a package that
38 > you maintain moves, splits, or otherwise changes in a manner that
39 > requires dependency changes on any other packages in the tree, you
40 > should make those changes yourself. You're free to ask for assistance,
41 > of course, but you have the power to make the changes yourself without
42 > asking permission. After all, you're the one "breaking" the package, so
43 > you should be the one to "fix" it.
44 > - Manifest/digest fixes
45 > - metadata.xml changes
46 >
47 > There's a couple more that I wouldn't mind seeing as things developers
48 > can do without the maintainer, but I can see how these might be a bit
49 > more controversial, so I'm asking for input.
50 >
51 > - Version bumps where the only requirement is to "cp" the ebuild
52 > - (for arch teams) Stabilization of new revisions of an already stable
53 > package - An example of this would be being able to stabilize foo-1.0-r2
54 > if foo-1.0 (or foo-1.0-r1) is already stable, but not if only foo-0.9 is
55 > stable.
58 I think these two cases should still be handled by the herd or
59 maintainer of the package.
60
61 The stabilization idea sounds good and it could free maintainers from
62 filing similar bugs over and over ; but wouldn't this be more and harder
63 work for arch teams?. For example, they should carefully track the
64 history of all the packages to know when and if they should stabilize it
65 yet.
66
67 > So, what do you guys think?
70 The other list of things look fine and safe to be changed by any maintainer.
71
72 Regards,
73
74 - --