From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New, shiny EAPI=5 profiles: volunteer, procedure, preparations
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 20:48:23
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 since Council has approved the creation of a fresh set of EAPI=5 "13.0"
4 profiles, I would like to volunteer for creating them. The proposed procedure
5 is outlined below in detail, and I'd be happy for comments.
6 [If anything below deviates from Council decision, please tell me- not my
7 intention.]
8
9 One general question comes first, though: Right now, the releases/10.0 profile
10 directory does the following things:
11 * mask too-old portage
12 * set eapi
13 * add USE=bzip2
14
15 Is there anything unrelated to EAPI=5 that absolutely must be added to the new
16 releases/13.0 directory in addition in your opinion? (Whether this is the
17 right place and was the right place in the beginning for USE=bzip2 is another
18 question.)
19
20 ###
21
22 The procedure (all paths relative to profiles):
23
24 1) create directory eapi-5-files, with eapi (containing 5), skeletons for
25 package.stable.mask etc and a readme
26
27 2) copy releases/10.0 to releases/13.0, in releases/13.0:
28 * increase required portage version
29 * additionally inherit ../../eapi-5-files
30 * other changes as per question above?
31
32 3) for each arch in default/linux,
33 * announce on arch alias (to prevent overlapping commits)
34 * copy default/linux/${arch}/10.0 to default/linux/${arch}/13.0 and
35 * change inheritance in the new copy to inherit ../../../../releases/13.0
36 instead of ../../../../releases/10.0
37 * announce on arch alias (so future changes go into 13.0 tree)
38 [This describes the simple case. I realize that there are differences in the
39 directory structure, e.g. powerpc/ppc64/10.0, which is why this step needs
40 extra care.]
41
42 4) edit profiles.desc and copy all "10.0 lines" to "13.0 lines", with an
43 initial setting "dev" (if dev or stable before) or "exp" (if exp before)
44 This makes repoman check against the new profiles when using developer
45 profiles.
46
47 5) announce the state on the dev list, urging devs to update their symlink
48 manually and !test!
49
50 6) wait one / two weeks
51
52 7) in profiles.desc, mark all 13.0 profiles stable that were stable in 10.0,
53 and remove the lines for the 10.0 profiles. This makes eselect profile now
54 only offer the new ones, and repoman test by default against 13.0 profiles.
55
56 8) mark all 10.0 profiles as deprecated by creating a "deprecated" file
57 (containing the replacement suggestion) in the directory. This makes portage
58 warn users to upgrade (suggesting a new profile for them), and repoman ignore
59 the 10.0 profiles.
60
61 9) long waiting time as decided by Council
62
63 ###
64
65 Everything that does NOT use/inherit 10.0 will remain unaffected, and whoever
66 responsible may have to take care of that some time before (in step 10) the
67 main profile directory becomes EAPI=5. This means e.g. hardened, ulibc, prefix
68 or bsd.
69
70 Cheers,
71 Andreas