From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [git migration] The problem of ChangeLog generation
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:56:05
1 On Wednesday 07 April 2010 21:41:49 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Tuesday 06 April 2010 05:13:02 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
5 > > Just a question:
6 > >
7 > > Why do we even need to care about ChangeLog files? Can't we just use the
8 > > git commit message to generate logs? E.g run a script on server side
9 > > which will read the whole git shortlog and generate a changelog every
10 > > $timeframe?
11 >
12 > You seem to have missed the gist of the situation. I'm quoting it here
13 > again to highlight it:
14 >
15 > * It makes zero sense to manually manage ChangeLogs in git[1]
16 > [snip]
17 > * Proposed is to generate ChangeLogs from git commits on the rsync
18 > server side when metadata generation is done
19 > - Scripts to do this already exist[1]
20 > [snip]
21 >
22 > 1. http://live.gnome.org/Git/ChangeLog
23 Ah you are right. It seems that I missed that e-mail on my inbox. Thanks for
24 posting it again.
25 It seems we are on the same page :)
26 --
27 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)