From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Global USE flags (Was: mplayer global use flag)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:15:38
1 Caleb Cushing wrote:
2 >>
3 >> cairo and openexr, good idea, AFAIK. udev has come up before but from
4 >> that discussion, the flag means slightly different things in some cases.
5 >> Keeping it local allows individual per-pkg descriptions, so where it
6 >> means
7 >> something different, the description can say so. In both meanings, udev
8 >> defaulting to on remained best, but with the slightly different
9 >> meanings...
10 >> There was some discussion about modifying things or changing the flag
11 >> where it meant something else, but I don't know what came of that.
14 > maybe it would be a lot of work. to even develop the tools. but it
15 > would be nice if a global use flag could have a detailed option.
16 >
17 > example.
18 >
19 > euse -i mplayer
20 > [+ C ] mplayer - Enable mplayer support for playback or encoding
21 >
22 > is what we currently get.
23 >
24 > add a -d option for --descriptive
25 > euse -id mplayer could show something like
26 > [+ C ] mplayer - Enable mplayer support for playback or encoding
27 > media-video/kmplayer - adds the ability to play back media using
28 > the mplayer engine
29 >
30 > or maybe something better...
31
32 I don't think any specification precludes having a more descriptive
33 per-package meaning. It would just be a matter of:
34
35 a. having devs write them in use.local.desc when necessary
36 b. Having tools look in use.local.desc first.
37
38 But the whole point of global flags is really to consolidate the
39 description functions and keep naming consistent. So I doubt (a) will
40 ever come to pass for the majority of flags. Luckily (a) isn't a hard
41 requirement, tools don't loose functionality by looking in
42 use.local.desc first.
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list