From: "Róbert Čerňanský" <openhs@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: GnuCash 2.7+ Breaking Change
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 07:49:40
1 On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:19:15 +0000
2 "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On 16/01/18 21:56, Róbert Čerňanský wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:58:11 +0100
6 > > Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> On 01/16/2018 03:45 PM, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
9 > >>> Given the situation, we have a choice: Remove GnuCash altogether,
10 > >>> or press ahead with recommending a version upstream considers
11 > >>> unstable.
12 > >> Or 3, discuss with upstream to see if they can release an updated
13 > >> version as stable branch.
14 > > 4. Mask the vulnerable webkit-gtk. This way: A. User is informed.
15 > > B. Manual action is required to continue using such package.
16 > >
17 > > I see this as the most obvious choice considering that I am still
18 > > unable to find any possible attack vector against GnuCash. If it
19 > > is me and only me who enters data. Webkit reports are generated
20 > > from those data. How can anyone hack me through GnuCash?
21 > >
22 > > In general, many times users use applications in a way that
23 > > vulnerabilities does not apply to their use cases. I would prefer
24 > > to be informed and allowed to continue using such application as a
25 > > part of the distro.
26 > >
27 > > Robert
30 > Forgive my potential misunderstanding here .. but who's actively
31 > preventing you from using GnuCash 2.6? You can take a copy locally to
32 > /usr/local/portage so that When/If finally it gets removed from the
33 > central package 'tree' it will run for you provided its requirements
34 > are still met on your system ...
35
36 That's correct, nobody is preventing me and I already have copies of
37 several packages. But with each additional package Gentoo becomes less
38 and less valuable. You can say the same thing about every package. But
39 what would be the point of linux distribution then?
40
41 I worked with assumption that there is a motivation in Gentoo to provide
42 a value in a form of stable GnuCash and I merely presented a way which I
43 see as most pragmatic. It allows to continue to provide that value and
44 raises awarenes about webkit-gtk security vulnerabilities.
45
46 Of course there is also a possibility that maintainters may have lost
47 interest/motivation to maintain old webkit-gtk. Which would be normal
48 and prefectly fine but completelly different matter than security.
49
50 Robert
54 Róbert Čerňanský
55 E-mail: openhs@×××××××××.com