From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Moving gnome2_icon_cache_update functionality to xdg-utils.eclass
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 13:51:39
1 On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 06:38 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu pią, 16.02.2018 o godzinie 02∶17 +0200, użytkownik Mart
3 > Raudsepp
4 > napisał:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > Before writing the obvious patches, would anyone terribly object to
8 > > moving gnome2_icon_cache_update into xdg-utils.eclass instead and
9 > > hooking it up via savelist guard in xdg.eclass (only running in
10 > > postinst/postrm when really needed)?
11 > >
12 > > The gtk icon cache format isn't used by gtk+ only - it's used by Qt
13 > > as
14 > > well these days; and either way if anything installs things per the
15 > > icon specs, the caches should be updated for gtk/qt to see it (even
16 > > if
17 > > the program itself is written in motif or something).
18 >
19 > Maybe it'd be reasonable to rename it while at it, to gtk_icon_cache*
20 > or xdg_gtk_icon_cache*. It would really suck to have xdg* provide
21 > a function named gnome2*, especially when it's not specific to GNOME.
22
23 Yes, of course. That's an obvious thing to do, didn't even think to
24 mention it explicitly. Afterall, we'll need the old name still in
25 gnome2-utils for compatibility for a while too.
26 I'm unsure about the name though, I like gtk_update_icon_cache, but not
27 having it prefixed with xdg or xdg-utils sounds a bit wrong; though I
28 think it makes a good argument to make an exception here. The tool that
29 provides the helper is split into a gtk-update-icon-cache named packge
30 as well.
31 Do you have any opinions on my dilemmas?
34 > > Open dilemmas:
35 > >
36 > > * To DEPEND on gtk-update-icon-cache, or to rely on the toolkits to
37 > > pull it in and only run the updates if the helper is present. We
38 > > have
39 > > it split out from gtk+ codebase, so it only has glib/gdk-pixbuf
40 > > deps
41 > > right now.
42 > >
43 > > * If it's worth trying to avoid double calls in postint and postrm
44 > > for
45 > > ebuilds that inherit xdg and call gnome2_icon_cache_update manually
46 > > right now on top (due to xdg.eclass not doing it for them).
49 > > If these changes are agreeable, then they could also be batched
50 > > into a
51 > > single push with the documentation update patches pending from
52 > > mgorny
53 > > for a single metadata cache invalidation of gnome2-utils.eclass
54 > > using
55 > > ebuilds.
56 > >
57 > > If this looks good, I can write patches soon, though there's always
58 > > other things to do too (like work on integrating a gnome-
59 > > meson.eclass
60 > > or meson-desktop.eclass on top of this), so help with patches
61 > > welcome
62 > > as well.
65 > > Mart