From: Patrick Lauer <bugs@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:32:36
1 Mike Auty wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > |
4 > | Signing offers no protection against a malicious developer.
5 > |
6 >
7 > I had envisaged a system whereby when the tree was synced, as was some
8 > kind of master signed list of all acceptable dev-keys. Every package
9 > would also be signed, and would only be installed when signed. As soon
10 > as a dev becomes a liability their key is removed from the list/revoked.
11 > ~ On next sync any packages or package upgrades signed after the time of
12 > revocation would not be installed. There would be a window of
13 > vulnerability, but no bigger than with revoking a dev's access to the
14 > tree. Do you think this would offer suitable protection for users from
15 > a malicious dev or not?
16 There has been some previous work which has never been finalized, for
17 all interested parties:
18 http://viewcvs.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/users/robbat2/tree-signing-gleps/
19
20 Getting this cleaned up and ready for discussion would be quite valuable.
21 >
22 > I understand there are difficulties with eclasses, etc, which is why the
23 > current implementation is still not widely used or mandated, but I'm
24 > more interested in the feasibility of the idea.
25 It can be done if people can agree to a policy and allow the
26 programmatic and infrastructural changes to happen.
27
28 Have fun,
29
30 Patrick