From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: azarah@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] make.conf
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 06:36:06
1 On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 12:46:58 +0200
2 Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > As I said in another post, I am still using a make.conf on some of
5 > my systems that was originally from portage 1.8 or there abouts.
6 > As long as you keep make.globals up to date, it should not be an
7 > issue.
8
9 Well mine isn't quite as old as yours, but is still fairly old now. I really
10 have no problem interactively merging them, and it takes little time.
11 However since the mini-crusade on it, I thought it to be a decent suggestion
12 for perhaps a future version of baselayout? Maybe as Chris suggested for it,
13 pop the complete make.conf.example into the stages, with a little note
14 somewhere like "copy this to make.conf and uncomment as necessary, or if
15 you're comfortable, create your own based on the available variables".
16
17 To be honest, I haven't changed mine once it was set, except to merge in
18 the new comments, and haven't excluded it simply to keep track of the
19 changes, which I could just as easily do watching a diff roll by of a
20 make.conf.example. Also, it's got easily twice the config areas of lilo, and
21 y'all provide an example for that.
22
23 Either way, I don't really feel strongly enough about it, it was just an
24 idea I had to make peace in both camps so we could get on to bickering about
25 something new:)
31 Chuck Brewer
32 Registered Linux User #284015
33 Get my gpg public key at pgp.mit.edu!! Encrypted e-mail preferred.