From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Death to old-style virtuals!
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:52:43
1 On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 05:33:06PM +0200, Petteri RRRty wrote:
2 > > There's still that stupid !virtual/blah thing to deal with. Old style
3 > > virtual providers are allowed to block their own virtual to mean "there
4 > > must not be any other provider of this installed" (although it's not
5 > > clear what that means if anything other than a simple !virtual/pkg is
6 > > used). Anything doing that would now have to explicitly list its own
7 > > blocks. Arguably, this is a good thing, since you'd have to say exactly
8 > > what you do and don't work with.
11 > The cases where this is needed could declare the full list of providers
12 > in an eclass. Are there any problems with this approach besides the
13 > increased maintenance burden?
14
15 Overlay interaction, and the need to bundle a g37 metapkg, allowing it
16 to get out of date. Adding an "exacly one of" dep spec would be useful
17 for maintainers also I suspect, and easier on the manager in terms of
18 processing- it's not required, but advisable in my opinion.
19
20 I'm not a fan of old style virtuals, but it also has some benefits
21 over metapkgs- ease of self blocking is one example, ease of extension
22 also. There is an additional benefit- it leaves blocking to the
23 provider. An example would be a provider that unlike all of the
24 others, can't coexist with them- hasn't been rewritten to eselect or
25 something equivalent.
26
27 It might be worth seeing if there is a new form of the decentralized
28 virtuals we could add w/out the baggage inherited in old style, rather
29 than just chucking it out in full. Just a thought.
30
31 Meanwhile, current old style virtuals still specified in the profiles
32 follow-
33
34 virtual/alsa
35 virtual/antivirus
36 virtual/aspell-dict
37 virtual/baselayout
38 virtual/blackbox
39 virtual/bootloader
40 virtual/cron
41 virtual/dev-manager
42 virtual/dhcpc
43 virtual/dhcpcd
44 virtual/fam
45 virtual/gzip
46 virtual/imap-c-client
47 virtual/imapUW
48 virtual/imapd
49 virtual/inetd
50 virtual/j2ee
51 virtual/jabber-server
52 virtual/krb5
53 virtual/libc
54 virtual/libiconv
55 virtual/libpcap
56 virtual/linux-sources
57 virtual/logger
58 virtual/lpr
59 virtual/m3
60 virtual/mailx
61 virtual/man
62 virtual/mda
63 virtual/modutils
64 virtual/mta
65 virtual/ooo
66 virtual/opengl
67 virtual/os-headers
68 virtual/pam
69 virtual/pbs
70 virtual/php
71 virtual/portage
72 virtual/python
73 virtual/quicktime
74 virtual/ruby
75 virtual/skkserv
76 virtual/squeak-image
77 virtual/ssh
78 virtual/tftp
79 virtual/utempter
80 virtual/w3m
81 virtual/wine
82
83 Of those, libiconv and opengl have a g37 metapkg.
84
85 ~harring