From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [PMS] Add RESTRICT="distcc" capability
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 21:28:24
1 On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 14:21:43 -0700
2 Gordon Malm <gengor@g.o> wrote:
3 > If you're compiling an out-of-tree module that requires the kernel be
4 > compiled with support for a particular item and the distccd host's
5 > kernel does not have that support compiles fail. Reference bug
6 > #120001 (though I know that it was properly diagnosed there).
7 >
8 > Then there's also this doozie. -> #167844.
9
10 So far as I can see, when the correct options are passed to a build
11 system, the only issue is hardened being broken. There doesn't seem to
12 be any fundamental reason why distcc with a sane compiler can't be used
13 with kernel modules. If this is the case, wouldn't it be better to get
14 the hardened compiler fixed?
17 Ciaran McCreesh