From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New GLEP: file installation masks
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 15:35:06
1 On 05/20/2016 07:01 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Sometime around a year ago, I started working on extending INSTALL_MASK
5 > to support well-defined locations. The work was never finished, and I
6 > just found my old specification for it. I've cleaned it up a bit,
7 > and extended it into a complete GLEP covering INSTALL_MASK [1].
8 >
9 > Please review the specification provided. The basic goal is to provide
10 > an ability to use INSTALL_MASK alike USE flags -- with path groups that
11 > are well-defined and described in the repository.
12 >
13 > [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:INSTALL_MASK
14 >
15 I'm totally in favor of this. The '@' prefix idea from your other mail
16 makes sense, too. Having the repo config file in addition to a custom
17 /etc/portage/install.mask file (for creating your own groups) is the
18 most robust way to do this imo. How would we handle namespace clashes,
19 though? For example, let's say the repo has this:
20
21 [bash-completion]
22 path=/usr/share/bash-completion/*
23 desc=bash completion files
24
25 ...and the user has this in their install.mask file:
26
27 [bash-completion]
28 path=/some/other/path
29 desc=some other description
30
31 ...then their make.conf has INSTALL_MASK="-@bash-completion" or something.
32
33 Should the package manager add the user-supplied path to the existing
34 "bash-completion" mask group? Should it output an error? Prefix every
35 group name in the user's install.mask with "user_"?
36
37 Otherwise this is a fantastic idea. I'm new to hacking on Portage but if
38 you have the time and/or patience I'd like to take part in hacking on this.
41 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
42 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
43 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6